Sunday, July 25, 2010

Stormy Baseball, Zombieland, Toy Story3

"Faust" Eddie Brock has become my "thing" ...meaning my next big project.  Ive mentioned him here before so in short he's the baseball player who claims to have sold his soul to the devil.  But where do we go from here?  As I asked before...whats the story.  In a straight up conventional world he wants to win a pennant (a pennant is so much more interesting than a world series..hey its baseball and baseball loves the old school and pennants only really matter in the old school).  Mayhaps we throw in a girl or an orphan (it is a Wallace Beery picture right?).  Or we throw in the Seatle  Supersonics (cause they are simialr to a girl or an orphan...Cause..um...they dont exist anymore).   But a city got screwed in the process (not for first and certainly not for last).  But the last year in a city who's losing its sport franchise is pretty solid for a pretend strory right?  Whos the protagonist and whats his issue?  Not sure yet.  Still, in the process of figuring it out. In the meantime, let me tell you a tale.


Went to the new Yankee Stadium last night.  I dont like the Yankees (You may not know it but Im a die hard Atl fan. Love my Braves, love my Hawks and above all love my Falcons) but it was a friends birthday so such is life.  Took the ferry uptown to the stadium.  Great 30 minute boat ride.  Good times.  But alas, we had purchased the Mohegan Sun Bar seats.  Ive been to many baseball games.  I was at the game where Otis Nixon scaled the wall to send the 91' braves to the pennant (see pennant description up above).  Or perhaps Ive got my facts wrong but stick with me anyway.  So we are in a bar in dead center field with giant glass windows.  But its a bar (with 11$ beers).  Nothing like a baseball game, more like sitting in a bar.  Ok, fine, I adjusted.  We are 50' from the center fielder and Im thinking in my mind about what is the story as Eddie should be a center fielder and the experience was..er..it was an experience.  Then somewhere around the 5th inning with a tornado warning in effect, a bitch of a storm wandered through (Hell came to Frogtown).  Mass amounts of water and lightning but still Im inside and behind glass and watching as some of the  bleacher bums dance and enjoy their 100% soakedness.  Im feeling guilty cause Ive never seen a game from a stadium inside a bar before and it feels fake but alas Im getting pretty sloshed from my 11$ beers and then the ceiling springs a leak.  As a result of a lot of water (did I mention how big this storm was?) on our seats leaking through the roof, we get our whole tab comped which is about $600 (there were a lot of us) which makes the whole experience worth it.  Plus the storm was uber-cinematic. 


So yea, my next picture will be a baseball flick I think.

In other news, I watched Zombieland today.  Solid but perrhaps lacking.  I would have liked to see more of the bigger picture of society (especially the zombie kill of the week stuff) and I didn't like the two females and the finale was pretty lame. Still, the whole BM (and I aint talking Bob Marley..in fact the whole Hollywood Zombie combo could have made an excellent movie itself.) scene makes my 2 hour investment worthwhile and Woody Harrelson was great.  (2.5 outa 4).

Also watched Toy Story 3 this afternoon with Kid Millions in tow.  His first cinema event in which he participated in whole.  I was a little dissapointed as the reviews I read made me think I would gather some insight from the proceedings (perhaps see UP...perhaps...).  I left feeling unaffected and wondering how much longer the 3d fad will persist.  It was used fine here but it added little (and was a big detriment when your three year old refuses to wear the glasses and ends up watching an unfocused blurry screen for two hours and get to feeling all guilty over it).  2 of 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment