Friday, November 4, 2011

A look at the 2011 MachinExpo Films - Part 1

I started wading through the screening selections last night. Here are three of my favorites so far:




Scent Memory by Patrick Kendrick - "A fighter pilot regains consciousness next to his wrecked plane, only to find it rusted and aged by decades. As he explores unfamiliar surroundings, he encounters a bizarre cast of characters and confronts decades of layered memories."


Skilled SecondLife machinima tale that is engaging, mysterious and beautiful. The story is a bit floaty (with a seemingly healthy dose of 2001 mixed in) feeling a bit like a dream. Well worth a look.




Sintetic FAITH by Nikolay Rusenov - One of my top 5 favorite Iclone movies. Humanity isnt always human. Excellent work.




What Isn’t Underneath? by Hypatia Pickens - "This short film is an homage to Scottius Polke's eerie art environment called "The Docks," on display through June 30, 2011 at Originalia in Second Life. Since it is due to come down after that, I thought I would try to capture some of its subtle ominousness in a machinima narrative. So Sangreal Arnica and I put our heads together and came up with a story that explained something that really can't be explained. Whenever you do that, you disambiguate something that is ambiguous. I tried to capture all the strange details that Scotty filled his build with."


My favorite viewing of the evening. Dark and poetic secondlife tale that looks a bit like a living painting. Short and wonderful. See it!

No comments:

Post a Comment